You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
~ Mark Twain

August 1, 2008

Weston Christopher Jones

So... we just shipped West off to the nursery for some much needed sleep. If I'm going to be honest, and I usually am, then I have to say that my son is one of the most beautiful boys in the world. But his arrival left a lot to be desired.

When i last blogged, it was 630 pm, 2 days ago. I was hanging out at Mercy waiting for the Cervidil to work magic on my uterus. I caught a glimpse of myself in the dark window... and was amazed at how pregnant i looked... how normal I looked. So, I had Scott take a few pictures.

My water broke at 2am... I was not prepared for that at all. I actually thought that I had had an accident on my way to the bathroom. So... my water broke and i proceeded to start having serious contractions. The doctors once again started Petocin at 4am. By mid morning, I was in such pain from the back spasms, and my hips felt like they were trying to single-handedly drill through concrete. I was given drugs that were wonderful since i basically slept through the morning. When the drugs wore off, and my labor had turned into the dreaded "back labor" complete with back spasms, i was almost dilated to 6cm. So... I quickly put in the order for an epidural. Once this was in, I went almost completely numb from the waist down. So... I kept moving around, rolling from side to side, having Scott talk to Weston, and by 230pm, I was fully dilated to 10cm, and Weston was "engaged" and ready to go. So... I pushed my hardest from 230 until just after 5pm. Once checked around 5, it was discovered that while though Weston was head down and engaged, he had, at some point in the last week, turned fac up. A baby cannot safely be born facing up. So... I attempted a new hands and knees position with the intent of getting West to flip back into a face down position. My epidural had been turned down, so i was feeling every single back pain, added to this the new pain of pushing, in combination to the added pain of being on my knees and legs so swollen that they turned new shades of purple, as well as being completely numb from the original epidural. This position did not work.


There was nothing that could be done. After being admitted and on various medications for exactly 36 hours, 15 hrs of which spent in active labor, my doctor decided that the safest method for Weston and I was a C-section birth. I was in the OR by 6pm, and Weston Christopher Jones entered this world at 620pm. He weighed 8lbs, 4oz. He was 20 3/4" long. He has blondish-brown hair and blue eyes (as of today anyway.) He was immediately allert, and is one of the most beautiful childrean i have ever seen. Scott got some great pictures. And we were informed that West was born in perfect health.

Weston Christopher Jones
born: 7.31.2008, 6:20 pm
8lbs, 4oz; 20 3/4" long
15 minutes old here

I, on the other hand, did not have it so easy. After 3 hrs of hard pushing, I had to undergo major abdominal surgery. Right now, i am in almost constant pain and a constant state of exhaustion. I have a huge incision being held together by staples, and massive bruises from all of the IVs and blood drawing, and sugar counts to monitor my diabetes. And I am being awakened by the nursery to feed my son, which is awesome! I love being able to feed him.
I wish for him nothing but the best. So... I hope you enjoyed the trials and tribulations of Weston's arrival, as well as the pictures. We have loved having so many of you visit and calling to check in on us. We truly feel blessed.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

He looks so long! Looks like he definitely inherited Scott's height (yay!!), but he does look a lot like you! He's so cute!! We'll have to come visit once you get settled at home!

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

Congratulations! He really is beautiful. I've never seen a baby so young look so alert. Sorry about the labor. Sounds like my worst nightmare. I've had one of my babies naturally, but it was over and done with in 2 1/2 hours. I couldn't do what you did. You're super woman!

Chiara